Tuesday, September 3, 2013

DIY » easy tassel garland




   How to make a tassel garland.  





Things you will need:

1. Scissors
2. Your string of choice.
3.Tissue Paper (Mine is from the Dollar Tree. I wanted specific colors, and found them all there... even gold!)
3. Clear/Invisible masking tape. 


Step 1:

Fold tissue paper in half, making a rectangle.



Step 2: 

Cut the side so that you now have two rectangular sheets.



Step 3:

Fold those two sheets in half (again) to create a more square shape.


Step 4:

Start cutting thin strips toward the fold. 
The strips should be about 1/2 inch, no need for perfection here.



Cut them close to the top, but not all the way. Cutting them close to the top creates a taller tassel. 



Waalaaa....



 Did I mention this glitter tissue paper is amazing? Only $1 for 20 sheets at the Dollar Tree.



Step 5: 

Separate the two sheets. Careful now.



Step 6:

Open each sheet then fold the sheets like so...

 «TIP »
After each fold brush through the tassel/strips so you don't end up with a 
jumbled mess at the end.

This is the piece laid out before any folding action has begun. 
(Sorry the photo is turned the wrong way.)



Fold in half.




Fold in half, again. 
(Photo is turned the wrong way.)



And again.




One last time... 
until it is about the size one strip.






Then fold at the center. 
Just when you thought there was no more folding.





Magic.




Place the flat folded area over your string. 
However long you want the garland is how long you need to make your string. Remember to leave room on the ends for hanging. I hung my pre-measured string with tape and began to place my tassels on it.




Step 7: Tape the tassel 
(Do not tape it to the string. This will allow you to move the tassels around if needed). 


« TIP »
Place ALL your tassels on the string BEFORE taping them. This will allow you to see if you are happy with your color choices, patterns, or if you need more tassels. I was able to design my color pattern this way. I also decided to add more tassels. Glad I didn't tape it down.




YAY!




This is before I taped them all down. 
 I decided to add more tassels. 






Step 8: 

Make sure to have a cute little helper. 






Now, for more tassels. 







Ahhh.... That's much better.







Here is the specific string I used. It's called Sugar 'n and Creme. 
I really like the design. 
You can find it at Micheal's Art Supply.







I easily moved the garland to a different area for any last touches
and for storage until the party. 






Another thing, make sure you have a non sticky snack handy.






Run through the wild and sing,
Allisen

No comments:

Post a Comment